Every year I get so excited about writing this post. Not only do I get to relive an entire year of music in a few short days, but I get to be super pretentious and opinionated about it.
This year was the year of the sophomore album. My top 3 albums of the year are dazzling follow-ups to three of my all time favorite albums. And then there’s Adele, who basically took over the world with her sophomore album. It’s humanly impossible not to love that album.
I discovered some great new music this year and enjoyed some fantastic shows. In fact, my concert experience is what helped me decide between my number one and number two albums of the year. Fleet Foxes just blew me away. I still catch myself smiling thinking about that show, and it was months ago. And Bon Iver’s album and concert were just magical
So, here are my Top 25 of 2011.
- Fleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues
- Bon Iver- Bon Iver
- Girls- Father, Son, Holy Ghost
- Washed Out- Within and Without
- The Decemberists- The King is Dead
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.- It’s A Corporate World
- The Head and the Heart- The Head and the Heart
- Smith Westerns- Dye It Blonde
- Dawes- Nothing is Wrong
- Destroyer- Kaputt
- The Black Keys- El Camino (I just heard this all the way through 2 days ago. It might actually move up the list after more listens)
- Wye Oak- Civilian
- Adele- 21
- James Blake- James Blake
- Laura Marling- A Creature I Don’t Know
- M83- Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming
- Ryan Adams- Ashes & Fire
- Elbow- Build a Rocket Boys
- tUnE-yArDs- whokill
- Givers- In Light
- Those Darlins- Screws Get Loose
- The Civil Wars- Barton Hollow
- Kurt Vile- Smoke Ring for My Halo
- The Low Anthem- Smart Flesh
- The Middle East- I Want That You are Always Happy
Don’t hold back. Let me know what you think about my list. What were your favorite albums of the year?